Emergence

Emergence
Gabriel turns Two: Happy Birthday Sweet Boy

Monday, October 23, 2006

Sin Story


I wrote this poem originally in response to Stacy's post on Open Source Theology about how we experience sin and redemption in our daily lives.


Sin is trying to look like I have wings to fly, when I should be swimming

Saying the right thing for the wrong reason

Living separate from the truth I sense

Forgetting how to love

Keeping love away somehow

Being careless with a being’s heart, even if that being is me

Wanting a better stomachfor myself more than a full stomach for a hungry person

Pretending to be small

Pretending to be big

Pretending

Failing to love

Absence of love

Coldness that doesn’t seek warmth

Sin fills the spot designed for truth and grace

When that place becomes empty

Alone

Sin

Need

Feel the need, the pull

Let the pull bring you toward the first hint

Begin turning around to face yourself

Face God

Repentance that brings joy

A child comes home

A lover returns

No longer utterly alone

Embrace

Cry

Be

It’s okay

There’s a little warm fire warming the cold parts

Time will heal

Together

One

Love covers a multitude of sins

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

QG,

Awesome stuff. My heart shattered and replasticized just reading your poem. Thank you.

-RM

Anonymous said...

Love this.
(And thanks for your comments on my gay republicans post.)

My definition of sin (not as poetic as yours) is:
Not being the person God created you to be. (a problem for closeted gay friends)

Wish you were in the congregation I help serve.

Jemila Kwon said...

J, thanks for your comments and encouragement. I will pray for your church as I head toward my pillow tonight!

Jemila Kwon said...

J, thanks for your comments and encouragement. I will pray for your church as I head toward my pillow tonight!

Anonymous said...

Great philosophical depth! Your poetry shouts loud and echoes my own faith experiences.
Blessings and Shalom